How to treat severe headache?
Headache is one of the most common illnesses that affects the adults. People that suffer from a chronic headache might have some difficulties in managing their daily life. This will make them become unproductive since they cannot conduct their daily routine efficiently. There are many kinds of headache (jenis sakit kepala) in this world. The most common includes migraine, tension headache, cluster headache and also sinus headache. Most of them do not have a clear cause. However, almost all headaches can be relieved through the same ways. This article will discuss what to do in order to treat a severe headache immediately.
Most headaches will have their own triggers. A trigger can be anything ranging from foods, materials, activities and others. If you know exactly the trigger for your headache, you should learn to avoid it at all cost. However, if your headache does not have any cause, it is best to take medication in order to prevent the same episode from happening. Here are some medications that can be prescribed by your doctor to help prevent a severe headache.
- Botulinum toxin
- NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Anti-seizure drugs
The use of one drug is always preferred. However, your doctor might use some combination of drugs if your headache does not become better. Remember to always follow your doctor’s prescription and read the instruction’s label before taking any of the mentioned medications. If you think your condition is getting worse, it is recommended to talk to your doctor immediately.
You might also want to consider doing home therapies in order to help relieve your headache. Home therapy is well suited for severe headaches as it can provide you with an immediate relief. Here are some therapies that might be worth considering:
- Cold compression. A cold ices application onto the skin might give some relief to your headache. This is particularly true especially for the types of headache that involves tensioned muscles. Just applying some ice cubes covered with thin cloth at the most painful area is enough. Make sure to not go more than 10 minutes to avoid any possible harmful effect.
- Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a therapy that uses nice smell to provide brain relaxation. Most people found it very helpful as it is very soothing and relaxing. It also helps to relieve headache by ‘asking’ the brain to relax. You can easily purchase aroma oil at local health food stores.
- Relaxation technique. The most common trigger for headache is stress or angry feeling. To combat this, the best possible way that you can apply at your house is the relaxation therapy. You can do this by practicing yoga. Besides, a simple relaxing breathing technique can also be very helpful. Just find a quiet place and start practicing these techniques whenever you feel your headache is coming. You might feel better after applying this technique.
- Hydration. Keeping your body hydrated is always good. This is because some headache can be triggered by dehydration. Hence, you might want to drink a couple of drinks every day to stay healthy. It is recommended to drink 8 glasses or plain water every day. However, you need to be careful in choosing your drink as there are those that can also trigger headaches. This includes caffeinated drinks and alcohol.
- Sleep. People that do not get enough sleep will always complain about having a headache. Hence, getting enough sleep will always be a good thing for your health. It is recommended to sleep for 6 hours a day for adults in order to help prevent your next episode of severe headache.